Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Holy Guacamole!

Ah an excuse to eat Tex-Mex food and drink coronas, not that you need an excuse, but it is nice to have one every now and again. Any holiday with an emphasis on food is ok by me. So really, most holidays are ok by me.
I think I really managed to get into the celebration of Cinco de Mayo while in college, because various bars would offer large quantities of Coronas in a bucket for one very low price. This of course is not the true meaning of Cinco de Mayo, but who am I to complain?

In case you don’t have such beverage opportunities where you are, and you plan to stay in and celebrate, I have a recipe for you. You see a couple of summer’s ago, my friends decided to have a guacamole competition – a Guacamol-off.
I traveled from Maine down to the Jersey shore bringing with me knives, bowls, cutting boards, spoons and one profane apron I received as a gift; all the necessary accoutrements to produce a winning guacamole. Yes, that’s right I said winning.

Now, don’t think I took this lightly. I made 4 different versions of guacamole and forced my coworkers to sample and rate each and every one before I determined what my entry into the Guacamol-off would be. And, if you have ever tried to purchase avocados in Maine, this was no cheap feat. Plus my indecisiveness and waffling between recipes made this whole process far more all-encompassing than necessary.
All the entries in the Guacamol-off
However, when the time came, we got down to business. There was guacamole making on counters, tables, chairs and ledges both inside and outside. Voting was based on appearance, flavor and something else (I forgot), then the totals were tallied and winners announced. I know it was a close contest, and that I only won by one or two points (and I’m sure that forcing your boyfriend to vote for you doesn’t hurt either). But I am confident that you will like this guacamole. Oh and in case you were wondering if I won anything - my prizes included maracas, a sombrero, mardi gras beads, and a bottle of tequila. 
The winning guagamole
A lot of good guacamole was had that day, and in honor of guacamole and Cinco de Mayo I have decided to share this recipe with you. The inspiration for it came from a coworker of Joe’s while we were in California. He had brought in a mango to work and sprinkled it with the Chipotle flavored Tabasco sauce. When Joe tried it, he fell in love. I thought it might be a nice addition to my standard guacamole. So if you too are entered into a guacamole competition, feel free to use this recipe; as long as you are willing to share your winnings with me.

Mango Chipotle Guacamole

2 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
3 ripe avocados
1/3 c. finely diced red onion
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 ripe mango, in a small dice*
Juice of 2 limes (or more if necessary)
½ tsp. Chipotle Tabasco sauce

Crush the garlic with the side of your knife and remove the skin. Roughly chop the garlic and then sprinkle salt over it. Using the side of your knife, work the salt into the garlic until a paste forms. Scoop this up and place in a bowl.

To use the avocados, run your knife all the way around the avocado, while touching the pit. Then twist the two halves and pull apart. To remove the pit, firmly whack your knife into the center of the pit, and then twist the pit and pull it out of the avocado while it is attached to your knife. Then, you can slip the pit off the blade and repeat with the other avocado. Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl with the garlic and salt mixture. Begin to mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher.

Next, add the red onion, cilantro and mango. Stir slightly to combine. Then add in the lime juice and Tabasco. Taste, and add more lime juice, Tabasco or salt if necessary. Serve immediately or sprinkle with more lime juice, and cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic touches the top of the guacamole and refrigerate until ready to serve.


*To cut the mango, hold the mango so that the narrow side is facing you. Run your knife parallel to the length of the mango, moving it out if you hit the pit. Once you know where the pit is, cut the remaining 3 sides of the mango in the same manner.

Then, score the mango into the size chunks you want, being careful to not piece the skin. Pull the skin down, like you are trying to open the mango, and the squares of flesh should pull apart from one another. Then use your knife to cut along the skin and the cut squares of mango should release. You can then cut these squares smaller if so desired.

1 comment:

  1. And by "various bars" you clearly mean Front Page. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or question.